Mar 4, 2009

This morning



Got up at 7:30 to make coffee and practice. Beautiful morning, pouring rain yet the sun was shining brightly. Took a few photos while listening to Leaning into the Night. It set the mood perfectly while I wake up a bit. I've been way into the nylon string guitar playing with an orchestra the past few weeks, there just something something about it. I think "The Call" is my favorite piece on the album at the moment. Beautiful piece and it's really cool how the call to prayer is in tune with the song.




My coffee set up wouldn't be complete with out my Mr. Coffee warmer, 60min coffee mug and Flamenco coaster! Yes, I told you I take my coffee seriously. Maybe this stuff should be in a "Stevo gift pack" at the music store or something. Remember that post where I decided against the CNN coffee mug? Well, I decided to go with the 60 Minutes coffee mug and I feel confident with my decision. I feel more informed with whats going on in the world when I sip from it. Not to mention, I love that movie "The Insider" directed by Michael Mann and they sipped from CBS coffee mugs so I had to get one. Yes, I can be a total sucker for advertisement.

Speaking of Michael Mann, here's a little trivia question for you -

What TV show did Michael Mann produce?

It has been answered in the comment section -

18 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

Have you heard Vicente Amigo's Poeta? Up with Ciudad de las Ideas as my favorite of his albums and unbelievably brilliant in the line of flamenco guitar w/ orchestra. Manolo Sanlúcar's Medea is pretty awesome too. Both of them are kind of tough to find, unfortunately! I got my copy of Poeta in Granada...


Along those lines, you could also check out Sanlúcar's "Fantasía para Guitarra y Orquesta" which is old but interesting, and Juan Carmona's deliciously modern "Sinfonía Flamenca."

stephen duros said...

What! NO, Vicente plays with an Orchestra!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist Adam, I've had coffee and am firing on all thrusters! yes, I have two copies of it actually. I have been listening to that as well as some Tomatito. However, those albums didn't fit the vibe this morning with the rain + sunlight.

Thanks for the tips with the other tunes, I haven't heard them.

Luz said...

Michael Mann & Miami Vice go hand in hand?! ...I think! ;-)

stephen duros said...

Luz, you are correct!

I wish I had a "Stevo signature coffee gift pack" I could send you for winning haha

stephen duros said...

Adam, no comment on my sarcasm?

Borya said...

Göran Söllscher plays the Concierto de Aranjuez with an orchestra ...

Poeta difficult to get? I ordered my copy via amazon.de and received it three days later. Try Munir Bashir's Flamenco Roots. That was my toughest one yet. Found a copy of it by coincidencce in a museum store in Cordoba (the one in Andalusia, that is). And José Manuel Léon's Sirimusa is still not listed at amazon.de but I had it sent from Spain.

Luz said...

Stevo...I do take rainchecks! See you on 8/8 in Houston @ House of Blues!;-)

Adam Solomon said...

Sorry, Stevo, but you'll be surprised to learn that I don't check your blog for comments every day! ;)

Hey, Borya, I sure hope he plays Aranjuez with an orchestra! My favorite is Paco's recording but I haven't heard many...

stephen duros said...

Luz,

haha sounds good.

stephen duros said...

Adam,

That's too bad because if you did check everyday, you may be eligible in winning a "Stevo coffee setup". But that's if I ever get that going which is probably not likely. Although those Flamenco coaster are classic!

stephen duros said...

Borya,

Yeah Amazon is the way to go. Easy and 3 days you have the CD. It appears that Adam didn't do that. Looks like he had to fly out of the country to purchase his copy.

Simon Ovidiu said...

I just saw your blog and I find it interesting.
It's so beautiful to see how music and life go hand in hand,how some experiences could influence persons to write songs full of encouragement.

Visit my blog Arcadia

Borya said...

Adam -

Actually I have never heard Paco playing it which is a sin bcz it should likely be the best version! The versions I know:

Göran Söllscher
Miles Davis
B-Tribe

Yes, I admit, it is kind of funny that I know B-Tribe's but not Paco's, but well! :-P Hey, I mean, even Carlos Santana said that B-Tribe's guitar sounds cool!! (Paco Fernandez is the player.)

Borya said...

Stephen -

some years back I created some coffee/tea cups with motives from Ottmar's Flickr account. Kind of silent advertising when being in the office. The one I use for drinking coffee as the cover of "One Guitar" on it. Maybe it is time to make a new cup with a Stephen Duros motive on it to create a personalized Stephen-Duros-coffee-setup... :)

stephen duros said...

Borya,

You may be on to something! Sounds like that would make a good cup of coffee if you ask me!

stephen duros said...

Arcadia,

Thanks for checking in, Welcome to my wacky world of blogging!

Borya said...

I always liked "The winding road" on LITN. The title is so evocative of the music. Or vice versa. And the version of "Goa" is so beautiful. The orchestra really makes it sound like a fresh morning!

stephen duros said...

Yeah, The Winding Road is a good one. We played that one live a few years back.