Mar 23, 2009

The not so perfect travel day.....

Got up around 7am this morning to get ready and leave for the airport. 9:50 am flight to ABQ. I got to the airport about an hour and 1/2 early and checked in. The agent let me know my flight was to leave out of gate 28. When I got into the terminal I double checked the screens for my gate. Yup flight to ABQ at gate 28. Now there is plenty of time to relax, get coffee etc. Nothing worse then having to rush. I got one of those nice leather seats that southwest has with the little table to put my coffee on. There are only so many of those you know, so I was happy to get one. Pays to be early!

When it got closer to boarding time the gate agent started giving updates of when they would start the boarding process for the flight. At that moment I started to chuckle a bit with satisfaction, in my mind I was patting my self on the back for being early and making this a nice relaxing morning. I even checked in online 24 hours in advance to make sure I'd get on board early so there would be plenty of space in the over head for the guitar and get a window seat. I started to day dream of me sitting next to the window with a smile on my face. "More coffee sir" the flight attendant asks "oh, yes please..." The perfect relaxing travel day.

As I was thinking this there were some announcements going on in the background and I happen to catch the last part of it that said "Final call for passenger Stephen Duros at gate 25 to ABQ!!" I nearly had a heart attack at that very moment. I dropped everything and leaped out of my chair, grabbed the guitar and carry on and ran over to the screen to see if I heard that correctly? The screen showed a flight to ABQ at gate 28 AND 25. I first decided to panic then I thought, I'd better get down there. So I went a few gates down, 27.....26........ and then.... wait, where is gate 25??? I then realized that it was on the other side of the terminal! (of course). So I bolted down the hallway at lightning speed, guitar case and all. I thought, I'm "that guy" running through the airport. I was weighted down pretty good with all my carry on stuff and about 10 to 12 steps into my running, I started gasping for air. I thought man am I out of shape, way too much time sitting and practicing guitar, must work out. I got to the end of the hall and then made a left and went running down that one, finally got to the gate. All I could get out of my mouth when I got up to the gate agent was "Duros". I'm surprised he could hear me because it was almost a whisper. He looked at me like I was a complete moron and said "well, you better get on that plane, you're the last one". Thankfully the flight attendants were kind enough to make some extra space in the over head so I could place my guitar up there. I then took the only middle seat left on the plane.

Later in the day:

Happy to be in Santa Fe, beautiful weather today. After I checked into the hotel, I met up with Jon and went to the studio to set up my gear and sound check everything. Jon and I went over a few parts together as well. All set for tomorrow mornings rehearsal and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Had a super tasty dinner. The food is so good in Santa Fe it's not even funny. Chips, salsa, guacamole and a quesidilla for dinner. Topped it off with a house margarita. The perfect way to end a not so perfect travel day!

Heading off to sleep now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a trip (literally)! One of the rules of travel is that your gate is always at the opposite side of the terminal, especially if you are connecting flights. Also, if you are waiting for the subway, the train that goes the opposite way will always comes first.

LindaW said...

sounds like a "perfect" adventure.. at any rate you made it in one piece and are here!

I must ask however.. which house made that margarita, as i am doing a walking recommendations tour of all the places in Santa Fe.. any suggestions are sampled!

I'm looking forward to June, and Santa Fe.. I cant get to see you perform until then.

-peace

stephen duros said...

I stopped in at Del Charo, I didn't want to walk any further, it was cold out and they had the fire place going as usual. They have good drinks and appetizers for really good prices. Otherwise Maria's is my favorite of course. There are so many good places out here really. For the walking tour, I'd say head over to the rail yard district and hit up Tomasitas or the Cow Girl Cafe on Guadalupe. Or you can't go wrong with India Palace on Don Gaspar Ave...

LindaW said...

Ahh.. thanks for the suggestions.. I recall that you had Maria's on your list of fave places. A co-worker of mine agrees completely.

Tomisitas has incredible margaritas.. been there many times, however i guess I need to do a walking (or will it be crawling) drinking tour of the railyard area!

Anna said...

Steve, I am glad that you made it to ABQ after all, sorry to hear that you've missed out on the window seat.

Not very responsible of the airlines to be flying to same place from one location at same time.

stephen duros said...

It's all good, the most important thing is that I was able to still get on the flight.