May 16, 2009

This week in NYC

It's been great to spend a week in New York City. In the afternoons I've been getting out and walking around the city and going to a few of the museums. Earlier in the week I went to the museum of Natural History. My first time there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I put the "Opium / Dreaming" album on in my headphones and walked around. It was nice to walk around with the music and look at the sights. About 10 min into it, I began to notice that the music started to fit what I was looking at in a really interesting way and some how the timing of each song lasted about the exact time I was in each room. Walking into a different room with a different song set such a interesting and unique tone to what I was looking at. It's hard to explain so I suggest you just go there and try it. I didn't take time to read anything, just took everything in - looking + listening. My favorite part was when I walked into ocean section. The song "Chi-Wahwah Beauty" happen to come on as I walked into the enormous room all lit up in blue and trippy lighting as if you were under water with sea creatures all around. A huge blue whale hung from the ceiling as if it was diving down. The perfect song for that room. (electric wah wah guitar with trippy synth sounds). A great experience.

Yesterday I went to the MoMA museum with Ottmar. Beautiful museum, it was great to walk around in there and discuss the art together. As I was looking at some of the art I noticed the struggle between my right and left brain. Part of me initially wanted to say, "I don't understand what that is" and another part of me was saying, "accept it for what it is". I wonder how many people notice that or if they ignore those feelings. It's so important for us to be able to express our selves - thoughts + Feelings - through art and not suppress those feelings. It's also very important to have more art programs in schools - as much or more then Science and Math. No offence Science and Math but you've been on the top priority for a long time and it's time to make some space for Art.

1 comment:

Gez said...

"It's so important for us to be able to express our selves - thoughts + Feelings"
I totally agree with you on that.
What better way to do so than through Art - be it poetry, music, sculpture etc. Creativity and expression are so rewarding.
Such a pity that the 'Arts' are so neglected these days, especially on TV, - unless people consider American Idol to be Art!