Nov 23, 2008

Saturday - Meeting Lester DeVoe

I drove down from the Bay Area to visit Lester DeVoe's shop. It was great to meet him. He's so nice and it was great to see his shop first hand where he makes his beautiful guitars. I was so impressed with his attention to detail and impeccable craftsmanship, not to mention how clean the shop was. I really enjoyed learning about the different woods and information about the guitars. I played 4 different guitars, all of them fantastic. I can understand why there is over a 3 year waiting list for his guitars.

We talked about what kind of guitar would be good for my needs. Little things here and there that I've been interested in having on a guitar. He also brought out an unfinished guitar and strung it up and let me play it. It was an experiment guitar that he had been working on and wanted to see what I thought of it. It was really interesting playing an unfinished guitar, I've never done that before. I was trying to be super careful not to breathe on it, I'd feel terrible if it made a nick or anything. I played it very carefully and it was beautiful. Wow, what an experiment, awesome guitar. By the end of my visit, I made my decision on the guitar that would be best for me and put my order in.

I've been playing the same guitar for the past 11 years and it's done a wonderful service for me. It is the first real flamenco guitar I ever had. I've recorded 2 albums and toured with it, not to mention countless hours of practicing. It's been a great work horse for me. For a while now I've been looking for something new and different that will suit all my needs of touring and recording. After visiting Lester and playing his guitars, I know I've chosen wisely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope we'll get to hear this guitar on future recordings?
I caught Ottmars' solo performance
in London last week, he was asked what guitar he was playing?
I think he said a DeVoe, although I'm not certain.
Anyway his tone was great, as was his choice of songs.
I got to meet Jon too which was a real bonus.
I hope you all come back to the UK soon!!!!

stephen duros said...

Yes, Ottmar plays DeVoe Flamenco guitars. Jon is great! It would be great to play there with the band. I've been there a few times and love it.

v2or said...

Wow I love that man and his shop Lester is such a great guy. It was worth the wait and I have two more on order he has been so good to work with and his attention to detail is awesome. I like how he takes the size of your hands into consideration and makes adjustments. Its changed how enjoyable playing is for me. I could not wait when the first DeVoe came I took two days off from work. You made a great choice. Cant wait to hear your record with your new DeVoe soon. Time will fly by.

stephen duros said...

Yeah, he's a great guy. I'm really looking forward to the guitar!