Jan 8, 2008

The Midnight Snack - SOYRIZO TACOS


I'm no Bobby Flay when it comes to cooking, but I know my way around the kitchen enough to make a MIDNIGHT SNACK! Ok, midnight is not always the best time to eat, but when you're pullin a late night in the studio and need something tasty to keep you going, it's always good to know how to prepare a few things. And that brings me to these Soyrizo Tacos. I have to admit, I'm trying to cut back on the red meat and there's nothing like a good healthy substitute like Soyrizo. It's soy, not meat and it's 60% less fat then Chorizo and has no cholesterol. Ok yeah, you could use veggie taco meat but that's boring. You could use real Chorizo but we're trying to be somewhat healthy here right? And for those of you who are vegetarians, this could be a good option.

Ok, so what we've got going on over here is - Cilantro, Onion, Jalapeno, cheese and the soyrizo etc...




Step one - (I never do a step two. Everything is step one when it comes to the "Stevo world of cooking" so please pay close attention!)

To make it extra tasty, you might want to saute some minced garlic, chopped onions and jalapeno up in a pan with a touch of olive oil. Make sure you add a bit of salt and pepper.



Then add the Soyrizo. Now, it may be a bit scary looking when it first hits the pan so just ignore that part and start mixing it up in there. Oh! Make sure you cook it on high heat, very important. Half way through, add some chopped cilantro and squeeze some lime juice in there for some zing. I have no idea what the word "Zing" means, but it sounds like it would be the right word to use there.

Around this time, it might be a good idea to put the taco shells in the oven. Believe me, you don't want to finish everything in the pan and realize you have cold taco shells awaiting. Well, lets just say I've learned from experience.




Moving right along....

When you're finished, it should look like this - very similar to taco meat.



Now all you have to do is put it in the taco shells along with shredded cheese and some low fat sour cream if you choose. Don't forget to add your garnishing!! Garnishing is key! Now, you have a perfect midnight snack.



ENJOY!

5 comments:

Luz said...

I have tried that Soyrizo and I must say it was pretty tasty. It's been awhile since I've had some and will have to give your recipe a try.

stephen duros said...

Oh good! Hope you like it.

Anonymous said...

my, you have a clean oven!

stephen duros said...

yeah, I take my oven seriously

Anonymous said...

Try the Trader Joe's chicken chorizo. It is very good.
Take Care,

Lisa (from northern Illinois)