Dec 7, 2007

Picado

Everyone wants to play fast. But speed sounds rubbish if the pulsation of the music is not there. Playing fast might impress those who do not know, but if you wish to play flamenco, forget speed. Concentrate instead on control and accuracy.

While I've been practicing this morning I came across THIS on the web and I would agree with what is said above. I would rather hear something that was slower but IN time then something that was fast and sloppy.

I would like to add - You can concentrate on control and accuracy as the techniques to build up speed and this doesn't just apply to Flamenco. Nothing wrong with having total control over your instrument. However, just because you can play fast doesn't mean you have to. I think fast guitar runs in music can get redundant very quickly if over used. Personally, I'd rather hear a pretty melody and an occasional fast guitar run here or there to get from point A to point B. Other wise fast guitar runs over and over and over in one piece just isn't special to me anymore. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, It really all comes down to personal taste.

above - Also has some nice guitar exercises, check it out.

No comments: