Nov 26, 2007

Winter Rose

Tis the season to be jolly. I guess it's getting close to that time of year and if you're not sure what music to buy for that special someone, I recommend Winter Rose by Ottmar Liebert. A wonderful musical journey through holiday songs and classical pieces to some of Ottmar's very own music. It's not the full attack of Christmas songs and I think that is what makes this CD so special and memorable. There is a certain magic to this album that I can't quite put my finger on, a bit haunting in a way on some pieces. I'm sure those of you who have this album know what I mean.

HERE and HERE are links to the album.

Liebert breathes new life into holiday favorites with sensitive, even haunting, arrangements of O Little Town of Bethlehem and O Holy Night. The CD also includes fresh interpretations of classical music, including Fauré's Pavane and Les Roses D'Isphahan and Tchaikovsky's Le Café from The Nutcracker. But perhaps the greatest delight are the six new songs written by Liebert especially for "Winter Rose," including Westcoast, The Longest Night, Kora/River of Stars, and A Sweet Persimmon. Each captures the essence of the season. The result is an album that is both familiar and inventive, heartwarming and evocative.

3 comments:

Luz said...

Winter Rose has been in high rotation on my stereo at work, home and in the car. I'm making my Christmas list and added Winter Rose as well as Thira to my list.

Anonymous said...

waited all year to purchase this - just did today and
burned a CD for the car... it is very dark and wintery here in Maine today so it seems appropriate... great!

thanks for reminding me... ottmar has a good friend in you

Anonymous said...

I usually play music in shuffle mode year-round, and Winter Rose is wonderful during any season. Of course, it's also the perfect antidote to the whole "Christmas on steroids" shop-'til-you-drop phenomenon.

Not to digress too much, but it's not even clear to me what celebrating Christmas is all about. I thought this brief article was interesting: http://www.americanheritage.com/blog/200511_29_88.shtml . Happy Saturnalia!