Nov 23, 2007

Random Thoughts by Stevo

1 -I haven't had a diet coke in a year and 2 months now.

2 -After I got home from South America, I've been sick. I was thinking about the time I saw something about animals in hospitals and how an animal can comfort you and help you heal. So I thought, since I'm not feeling good, I'll call Cosmo Kitty over to cuddle and comfort me so I can heal. I called her and she came trotting over. As I picked her up I said "Cosmo, my favorite kitty cat!" trying to gain some points. Apparently she sensed that I was sick and completely attacked me. Starting hissing, clawing and ran off. I thought right then and there, Cosmo might not be a good animal for healing people in hospitals.

3- As most of you know, traveling while being sick is no fun. Well, I had to travel on Wed. for the holiday weekend here and was worried about flying since my head has been so stuffy. I took some medicine and hoped it would help. I thought, maybe we won't fly so high. Well, when I was sitting there they announced that they were going to be up at 41,000 ft. AH! Who flys that high!! I don't remember the last time I've been up that high. So when it came time to come back down, this pilot must have been late for an appointment or something because I've never come down so fast! It was out of control, as if they knew that my head was supper stuffy, I was grabbing my head as I thought it was going to pop off from the pressure in my ears and then we started going down even faster. At that point I imagined that the two pilots were slapping high fives in excitement that they were descending so quickly. YEE HA! We finally landed and as soon as the wheels touched the pavement, they slammed on the breaks like super hard and made a quick right turn and it felt like they gave it full power to taxi. I've never been pushed back in my seat to taxi before, we were taxing faster then we did to take off it seemed, then raced up to the gate and quickly stopped. The capt. then made the announcement, "Folks we're 5 min. early WOO HOO!" I added the "woo hoo" part,he didn't say that but really, is there any point to be hotdoggin the plane like that? Maybe he misses landing on an aircraft carrier? However, it seems to be kinda of typical of the airline I was on.


4- Speaking of planes, while traveling on airplanes over the years I've noticed that there are "aisle seat people" and there are "window seat people". Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever met a "middle seat person", actually not sure if I would want to. For me, I've been a "window seat person" for as long as I can remember. I take my window seats very seriously.

Yes, the aisle seat can be nice especially if you like the convenience of getting up to get something in an over head bin or use the restroom. Oh wait! Should I say lavatory as they call it on the airplane? I do believe it serves the same purpose though. However, I can't tell you how many times my seat has been bumped by people walking past or with the food and drink carts. Especially when you try to sleep. It almost seems like everyone on the plane knows that your asleep and decides to get up and walk past and bump into your seat over and over again. I usually can't fall asleep in an aisle seat anyway, there is really no place to lean your head on. If you do fall asleep your head usually hangs there which isn't to comfy and you wake up with a super stiff neck. Or the only other option is to lean your head back, but what usually happens when people do that is, they'll fall asleep and then their mouth will hang wide open and will be snoring louder then the jets. I guess I may be a bit self conscious and don't want to be seen like that. So I'll try and look out the window from the aisle seat but the way my luck runs, the person sitting next to the window will pull their shade down. I can't tell you how many times that has happened and really, I try not to make it obvious that I'm looking in that direction. I'll sneak a look here and there. I think it's just not meant for me to have anything to do with the window.

As for the window seat, as it can be much harder to get out to the aisle, I like it so much better. I like to see what's going on outside the plane, take an occasional picture and listen to music while looking out at the clouds and landscapes. I also like to be left alone to have this time to my self and enjoy what's going on out side. The one thing you do have to worry about if you are like me is that random person that sits down next to you and wants to chat for hours. Hey, nothing wrong with a good conversation "Hey how are ya there, good to see ya" now back to enjoying my window seat. However, the enjoyment can go down hill real fast when that person keeps talking straight through the taxi down to the runway and through the take off! We're rolling down the runway fast as can be and I'm hearing "So, what do you do!!" all caffeinated up from the 3 cups of Starbucks coffee in the terminal, I'm thinking, I just want to look out the window right now.... please... Oh and you can bet the same thing will happen for landing. I don't want to be rude so I'll listen. I know you window seat people know what I'm talking about.... hm.. after re-reading this, I guess I do take my window seat seriously? Maybe I should say, a bit too seriously, oh well, everyone has their little quirks.

9 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

1. Well done, sir!
2. Maybe she was just defending Herbie, clearly offended that you singled her out as your favorite kitty cat? Cosmo is a loyal friend.
3. Why be a pilot if you can't live on the edge?
4. Good man. Window seaters unite. I like having ownership of the windowshades. I don't want to be dependent on another person...for window viewing...

Also, while you probably meant to say that everyone has their little quirks, everyone DOES also have their little quarks. Trillions upon trillions of little quarks. Oh, physics jokes.

stephen duros said...

ha ha, ok Adam, you got me there. As you know, I'm still learning how to spell...

Anna said...

1. Well done :-)
2. Hope you are feeling a lot better
3. A dare devil pilot; Adam there is living on the edge and living on the edge.
4. I agree window seat is the best. When I flew to the States I had a window seat, on the way home I was a middle seat person :-(. I have to admit very uncomfortable. The worst part was both of the ‘gentlemen’ would not stop snoring, and if they were not snoring they were drinking.

Anonymous said...

1- congratulations... well done!
2- is this the same kitty that left the surprise in your luggage? hmmmm...
3 - i've been in taxis in NYC like that...
4 - to follow Adam's lead... i bet you meant to say "aisle" seat, but i sure would like to know how to be assigned to the "isle" seat... might make flying more enjoyable these days! (I too prefer the window seat since it gives a place for my head to land if i fall asleep instead of someone's shoulder... and i do like the passing clouds, lights, or landscapes.)

hope you are feeling better soon...

stephen duros said...

AH! wow, you're right! I do need to re-check the spelling. It's not my fault, was absent the day they taught spelling.

Anonymous said...

it's endearing... I'm sorry and admit I'm guilty of it myself.

I like the image of an "isle seat" - warm, relaxing and calming - truly coveted by seasoned travelers. Next time I fly I will request it - thanks for the image.

hope your on your way to recovery... and making peace with Cosmo,,, and enjoying your new guitar

welcome home

stephen duros said...

Laurie- haha, yeah, an isle seat! It has palm trees, an ocean breeze and you can sip on mango cocktails.

Yes, Cosmo and I are best friends again. Well, as long as I don't leave anytime soon.

I'm starting to feel better as well, thanks.

Anna - That's no fun when you're stuck between snoring people for a long flight. I think they should outlaw middle seats for any international flight. I'm really not looking forward to flying on that new double decker Airbus. Can you imagine how long it will take to get on and off that thing? I think there should be smaller aircraft with more comfort. I guess that wouldn't make much $$ for the airlines though and that's all they seem to be concerned about.

Adam - I wasn't trying to single out Cosmo as my fav for real, I love both cats equally of course. I was just trying to gain some quick brownie points. Didn't work as you could see..

Anna said...

Steve, on the new double decker Airbus, more then likely you will be the first to board and the first to get off it.

Hope you've had a great Thanksgiving!

stephen duros said...

yeah, that would be nice.