Feb 4, 2009

recording update

Spending time recording yesterday and today and I'm really happy with how the songs are turning out so far. They're pretty groovy and a bit funky at times. It kinda reminds me of the vibe I captured on the Miranda CD but at the same time it's completely different. For the moment I'm getting the arrangements of these songs down and then will go back to replace the scratch tracks with final takes. Actually, some of the tracks are turning out nicely so I may not have to replace a lot of it. Most of the guitar tracks will be re-recorded except for maybe a few rhythm tracks. I'm picking my new guitar up this weekend and am really looking forward to hearing how it will sound on these songs. The last time I got a new flamenco guitar was 12 years ago so I'm really looking forward to this. Down the road I'll add live percussion and bass but for now I need to get a feel for where everything is headed. 4 tracks in rough form at the moment. I have about 4 to 6 other solid ideas I'll work on later after I get the current ones dialed in a bit more.

Since I'm going max speed with recording the next album, It's time for me to get out the most important piece of gear that I use when recording my music, it my secret weapon! You'll have to go HERE to view what it is. Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone though, it's top secret!

2 comments:

Gez said...

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the recording update.
Its interesting to read about the process.
Scratch tracks, thats an interesting way of working.
How many tracks do you record with?
Do you have spare tracks for alt takes?
I guess its the 'rough diamond' principle - you just keep polishing.
I'm starting to record myself soon, so I'll give your method a try.
(Once I've learned the software)
Keep the updates coming - especially for the recording novices out there.
Can't wait to hear the new guitar!

stephen duros said...

Hi Gez,

Yeah, everyone has their own personal way of doing things.

How many tracks do you record with?

It just depends on the song, I keep adding till I don't need to add anymore

Do you have spare tracks for alt takes?

Yes, on Protools you can have alt takes per track although I rarely ever use it.

I guess its the 'rough diamond' principle - you just keep polishing.

Yeah, pretty much, at least that's how I work.

Keep the updates coming - especially for the recording novices out there.
Can't wait to hear the new guitar!

You got it! I'm happy to share what I'm up to. Good luck with your future recordings!