Aug 2, 2007

Not the only one on vacation...



New England this time of the year is wonderful. The weather is beautiful and it's a great place to go hiking, canoeing and to sit out on the deck and write new song ideas. Now that the upcoming tour dates are right around the corner, I decided to change strings and get that over with so I don't have to think about it when I get home to Santa Fe.

I thought it was a good idea until I rememberd that Cosmo "America's favorite kitty" is also on vacation up here in New England. You would think there would be plenty for a cat to do up here in these parts but as usual, as soon as I opened a fresh pack of strings, I look down and there she is.



Lately she's been doing this thing where she waits at the end of the fret board to grab the strings as they come off but I know whats going on, I'm not fooled by this. Cute kitty right? Meow meow... purr purr. Really though, she is a ferocious string eating feline in disguise!! So I'm totally prepaired to out smart her this time.



But as a new string goes on, out of no where she leaped up like Jaws out of the water and completely landed an all out assault!! Totally took me off guard. Usually she starts batting the strings a bit here and there but not this time.





As I started to get up and away from the attack, she ran off with a new string from the pack. Again I had to chase her around the place and then she stood on the string and wouldn't give it back. Believe me, you don't want to reach for the string at this point. So I tried to play nice. Here kitty kitty..... Please note the look on her face below, she wasn't about to fall for the "here kitty kitty" bit.



I grew up with a big dog and it was simple, you throw the ball, the dog runs. This is a bit more complicated. It seems like she had this one planned out for a while. Hm.... Until next time...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Cosmo in action on the road! Wait, you need the music: http://www.moviemusic.com/audio/jaws_1.mp3 .

New England sounds like a great place to visit in the summer.

stephen duros said...

hahaha, thanks! It's great you put the link to that music. I was going to mention that I could almost hear the Jaws music when she approached!

Nice!

Adam Solomon said...

hahaha!! Finally, Cosmo's attack captured on film :D Out of curiosity, what strings do you use, Pro Artés or something else?

Anonymous said...

oh that is so funny... how nice of Cosmo to invite you to join her on vacation in New England. It has been beastly hot here in beautiful Maine, cooled off for a day or two and is hot again today. I don't know where you are in this region and perhaps it all feels good to you considering you live in a desert? But it is summer and hot days mean bare feet, good swimming and good tomatoes... it won't be long before we are back into woolies, driving on the lakes we swim in and eating our gardens from the root cellar and larder. Hope you and the cats enjoy your visit... maybe you should give her a string of her own to distract her the next time?

stephen duros said...

Yeah, it was nice of Cosmo to invite me out. She has a good travel agent. haha.

The weather was pretty hot and humid but it didn't bother me, and with all the lakes around, you can jump in and cool off.

Well, it felt a bit hotter then here in Santa Fe because of how humid it was. Actually, Santa Fe doesn't get hot like Phoenix because we're at 7,000 ft. here. We get 4 seasons. Lots of snow last winter!

stephen duros said...

Adam,

The strings I use are the D'Addario Pro Arte' composites, normal tension.

Adam Solomon said...

Cool - which G strings do you use? I haven't used the composites before (just the normal Pro Artes) but I've heard RAVE reviews about the muddy brown G string (yes, I'm talking about guitar strings!)...

Anna said...

Cosmo is cute!!

I wonder if Cosmo was not a musician in a previous lifetime. :-)

stephen duros said...

Adam, yes that's the "G" string I use, and it works nicely.

Anna, yes, Cosmo is very cute, she likes to sit close when I practice the guitar.

Adam Solomon said...

Has Cosmo bought a copy of Thira yet? :D

stephen duros said...

No she hasn't. I don't think she will either. She was there through the making of it all and had to hear the tracks hundreds of times. Actually, she is sitting right here, I could ask? hm... she said nothing. I guess the cat's got her tongue.

Gudrun said...

Why should she buy a copy of Thira when she has the possibility to sit close to Stephen during practising! hihi! I would prefer this way as well ;)

Adam Solomon said...

Tell me about it, Gudrun--up close + personal music, and free strings to play with too!!

stephen duros said...

Speaking of Cosmo hearing the songs a lot, I should post some pictures that I took during the recording of Thira. There are only a few but maybe worth posting. I'll have to search the archives.