Apr 20, 2009

Maybe the cat has ME trained after all ??



(above) Cosmo in super cuddle mode. Even though she runs away with my guitar strings, there are many times where we're buddies.

Hm, Speaking of the Cosmo, seems she has me wrapped around her paw lately. I remember a good friend telling me along time ago about his dog trainer telling him "do you want the dog to train you or do you want to train the dog??" Well..... I think the cat may have ME trained here. For a while now Cosmo has been getting up at 4:30 AM sharp and waking me up!! Yeah, you read that right. She comes over to my side of the bed and sits there meowing at me till I get up. She runs into the kitchen and sits by her food container meowing for me to feed her. Believe me, she's well fed but she wants "fresh" food at that particular time for some reason. So I get out of bed half asleep and walk like a zombie into the kitchen to give her cat food. At this point she's super thrilled and meowing up a storm. Of all the times, why 4:30am?? So I thought, hm... Maybe I'll wake her up in the middle of the day while she's taking her usual super long cat nap and try and get her on a day schedule, that way she'll sleep through the night!

So the next day I saw her sprawled out snoozing in her cat bed. I could almost see "Z z z z" floating above her head. A mischievous grin came over me as I slowly walked up to her. I tapped on her side to wake her and nothing, no response. Hm, interesting. So I started talking to her and she didn't move, not even a twitch in her ears. I even shook her a bit but nothing seemed to work, I then gave up and waked away.

I thought, maybe there is a lesson to be learned here? So the next night when it was 4:30 I heard her walk up and start meowing. I didn't move. She meowed some more. Not a movement from me. I thought, "HA! I got this in the bag!" But then she jumped up on the bed and starts meowing about 3 inches from my ear, not fun to hear but I kept my eyes closed. So she jumps off the bed and goes over to the side of my dresser and starts scratching the side of it back 'n forth, not a pleasant sound believe me, might as well be nails on a chalkboard! I then open my eyes to see what's going on, the cat sees me open my eyes and jumps up on the bed meowing at me really loudly and runs into the kitchen meowing for her food. Well, you know the rest of the story....

4 comments:

LindaW said...

ok, I have no doubt now that Cosmo Kitty and Albie A Katt are related. I get my wake up call at 4:39 AM, day in day out. This seems grossly unfair on those days when one does not go to bed until 2 am.

Does Cosmo Kitty also tap you on the arm and meow when she wants attention?

When others refer to us as "cat owners" we know the truth as to who owns whom ;-)

Anonymous said...

As someone who has been owned by a cat for 16 years, I can tell you how to stop this. It will be a couple of days of mayhem, but once it's over, you will be able to sleep peacefully.

The first thing you have to do is stop feeding Cosmo at 4:30am no matter how much she cries, pokes, jumps on you, etc. (This is where the mayhem will occur for a couple of days.)

The second thing you have to do is NEVER feed the cat first thing when you get up in the morning. Always go do a couple other things before you feed the cat.

If you do both of these things, the cat no longer associates you getting up with her getting food.

I too was a slave to the cat's pre-dawn feeding frenzy until I read about this in a cat magazine. It was tough to break my cat (and me) of the habit, but I'm soooo glad I did. I hope it works for you too.

stephen duros said...

@ LindaW

Oh, Cosmo definitely has her ways of getting my attention. She's a talking cat and we have full conversations back'n forth. She just cry's out when she wants something and runs over to her food bowl or if she wants petting she jumps up on my lap and purrs while pushing her head into my hand haha.

stephen duros said...

@ Anonymous

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a whurl then. Although, it's really hard to ignore her because she does just about everything short of playing a drum kit to get my attention. It sure would be nice to sleep through the night though. No wonder why I always sleep so good when I'm on tour! haha My other cat Herbie sleeps through the night with no problems.