Apr 9, 2008

Random thoughts of the day

Nothing like a little jet lag to make your week interesting. Last few nights I've woken up around 4am. Not much thought process going on at that point, if anything, I've been having some really vivid out there dreams.

I had this one dream that the entire hotel staff was in the lavatory on the airplane asking me if I needed assistance. I think that stems from the last hotel I stayed at in Korea. It was a "W" hotel. First time staying at one and really dug the vibe, great hotel. The only thing that got a bit tiresome was the staff being so over accommodating. Don't get me wrong, they are a great staff and work very hard. But after awhile it made you want to run away from them when they walked up. They would appear out of no where and try to assist you with anything. It's all nice and good at first but after awhile It got to the point where they were trying to grab and tug on my bags from my hand with a huge smile saying

"Sir, let me get those, no really sir, I have it, sir please, sir, sir!!!

I'm the type of person that likes to carry my own luggage and push the button on the elevator and so on. I'll say "no thank you, I'm ok, I've got it" but after having to say that 3 or 4 times in a row, makes me think, maybe in the staff training, they should be taught to not only help the client but to also listen and respect their wishes. Maybe an "are you sure" and then give up after that. I wasn't even allowed to make my own toast at the breakfast buffet. The person stood there and looked at me and kept saying, "sir, please, I'll get it" I said, "It's ok, I'll wait" (because I like my toast slightly burnt), but after a few more "sir, please, sir please" I walked away to my seat feeling annoyed. The same thing happened when I went to get some fruit. I respect that they want to help but ultimately it makes you feel helpless.


Happy to be home. It took about 27 hours door to door. The travel day home went very smoothly with no delays, makes all the difference in the world when things work out well during such a long day. I still haven't posted the rest of the photos on flickr but will soon. Feels weird to be back in reality.

No comments: