Feb 13, 2007

Time to change strings again.

Ok, so it's that time to change strings again. I've been putting it off for quite a while as it's not my favorite thing to do, having two cats make things difficult also. I've been trying to figure out different solutions to string my guitar in peace. As you saw last time I did this, things didn't work out too well and I've had a few people email me with some Ideas about Locking myself in a room but that doesn't really work because the cats scratch at the door and meow a lot. So today I came up with a new solution!

Of course as soon as I opened the pack of strings, Cosmo the cat was right there in seconds to take the strings from me.



I was trying to figure out what to do. Nothing was really working. At this point the score was Cosmo - 14, Stephen - 0.



As I got to the "G" string I thought, there are two G strings in the D'Addario composite string pack!! One is the regular one and one is composite so why not give the cats the regular "G" string! So I tossed the string on the floor and sure enough the cats hunted the string down, attempted to kill the string with a few swipes, picked it up and it up and walked off with it.





I was able to string the rest of my guitar in peace and by the time I was finished, the cats were bored with the string, left it on the floor and went to take a cat nap.



Hopefully this tactic will work again, I'll keep you posted next time.

7 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

haha! Well, you've gotta hand it to those cats, they know what they want and they don't give up.

Out of curiosity, was the regular G string still in playable condition by the time Cosmo finished with it? Maybe all this time you've been worrying over nothing...(besides, I hear scratch marks give the tone some flavor.)

stephen duros said...

Yes, they dont see to give up at all, its out of control.

Good question. The string was sorta playable, but not really.

Borya said...

That's too funny. I wonder if the cats leave your guitar(s) alone normally...

stephen duros said...

I keep my guitar in a case so they can't get to it. I think Cosmo likes it when I play. A lot of the time when I pick the guitar up she comes around to sit to listen. She can be a hyper cat, but it seems to calm her down. But some times she wants to sit on my lap while I'm playing and it gets pretty funny.

When I recorded the album last year, both cats would sit the monitors while I worked. I think we got into a routine haha. Plus It kept me company. I took some pictures, I should post them sometime.

I'm sure people are going to start thinking I'm one of those serious die hard cat people. For the record, I don't have cat pictures and paraphernalia all over my house, just cat sheets, pillows and car floor mats. (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

I am cracking up, this is so funny with the pictures. I guess they won't settle for the "old" guitar strings that you take off the guitar. Something about the round slinky-like shape, I bet.

Not sure how old your cats are, but they do chill out a lot as they get older. Ours used to be pretty wound up for many years, but she's now almost 17 and mainly just naps. Still, the more we need to get something done, the more she is in our faces, esp. with the computer.

Your CDs are wonderful BTW. Best wishes to you.

stephen duros said...

Hi and welcome to my journal + news site. First of all I'd like to say thanks for listening to my music and leaving the nice comment.

Ok, now about the cats. yes, they're pretty young, both are 1 years old. Actually, Cosmo is running back'n forth as fast as possible as I'm writing this. Herbie is chillin on the chair next to me, he's not as hyper as she is but has his moments.

Yeah, the old strings just wont do at all. They definitely like the new ones. I think this may be an on going update for my journal page when I change my strings. It's a different adventure every time!

Anonymous said...

ah, they are still kittens. You might be going through the string-hunting ritual for a while. The music will sound great either way. Our cat used to do the running back & forth thing when she was that age too, it was pretty funny.