Feb 28, 2007

The Music Lesson of the day - Metronome

When practicing this morning while having a tasty cup of coffee I got to thinking. I started practicing seriously with a metronome about 12 years ago. I remember it wasn't very much fun in the beginning (not that it's a party now) but as time moved on and I heard the results in my playing, I found it can be addicting after a while. I think it's very important to try to get used to practicing with one. Having good rhythm and timing is key!

You might want to try using a timer to practice a technique for 5 min. at a time. That way you can practice each technique consistently, otherwise, you may not know when to stop an exercise and you might just keep playing it for hours, days, months, etc.. That could possibly create a negative feeling towards the metronome.

Please note: If you have a cat you may not want to get one of those old school metronomes with the pendulum like I have because they will tend to run over and use their paws to stop the pendulum from swinging. This could be anti-productive and make you frustrated while trying to get some serious practice time in.

Good luck!

2 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

http://www.foroflamenco.com/flamencomaster/flamencom.zip

Very neat metronome designed for flamenco rhythms.

Gudrun said...

Have you already seen something like that?

www.graf-martinez.com/flamenco-metronome.html or www.graf-martinez.info

Both in english.