Sep 9, 2009

websites

Just closed my linkedIn page. Not that I had anything going on there because I didn't spend any time on it so having it open was serving no purpose. So that's another one of those "in things to do" that I've decided not to deal with anymore. That along with facebook, myspace and twitter. I think out of all of them, I enjoyed twitter somewhat but not the rest. I remember spending up to 30 min or more putting in tour date information on myspace and half the time something went wrong and I had to do it over (because the way they had it set up completely sucked). I could have spent those 30 min practicing, writing music or anything more productive.

Myspace always has a ton of spam emails or promotion emails about things I could care less about. Some of the emails I would get that were concerning me, (questions about my gear, music etc) I'd replay back with a nice responce but most of the time I never received a reply i.e. thank-u email (which I feel is rude). So to say the least, I'm over it. Maybe there is some art form to it and some people have a knack (if there is such a thing or shall we really call it luck) for being very successful in achieving amazing success through those sites and if so, more power to you. I personally think it's just the "in thing to do" and in my case, I would rather spend time working on my music and having somewhat of a life when not recording/practicing/performing/networking then knacking around on these sites.

Now, this post is obviously more on the serious side, don't worry though I'll get back to more of the music and silly stuff soon - in the mean time, I've been busy working on new music.

6 comments:

Dan Sistos said...

Closed my Linked In too. I found it more suited to Corporate America than us musicians.

Gez said...

Although I've never used 'social networking' sites, I can understand why you want to pull the plug on them.
I imagine that they become a drain on your time.
I've emailed you in the past and you've always been very generous with your time and your replies.
Does this mean 'radio silence' now? Or will you still answer the occasional email?
I think that its your true fans that email or leave a message via this blog anyway, not somebody who
just happens to be browsing.
I was blown away by Thira and the great email I got from you when I asked a couple of questions.
It's thanks to you and your inspirational music that I started recording my own stuff. Just wanted you to know.
Good luck with the new album.

wdl said...

have you look at youtube some time i look at myspace

stephen duros said...

@Dan,

Definitely.

@Gez,

Doesn't mean radio silence at all. I'm fine with communicating through my website/blog, there's just no point me having to spend time doing that 3 or 4 other sites as well. Thanks for the kind feedback. We'll keep it going!

@wdl,

I go to youtube when I want to see a player, way more then I would on myspace. It's a good way to show you performing etc. I really should get something on there. Maybe down the road. Although, I think it's in mono though, yes? If so, that's a bummer.

Borya said...

I hear u on this. And it was nice that u wrote some lines weeks after shutting down Facebook and Twitter! :-)

stephen duros said...

@Boyra

Hey, that's how I roll :)