Apr 23, 2007

Thoughts while playing live

I've been doing a ton of editing for the Toto Dvd the past week or so. I'm really happy with how it's turning out so far and I just finished a rough draft of Simon Phillips' interview. I really enjoy his interview and he brought up some really interesting topics. One of the topics was what he thinks about while playing. What a great topic because first of all, it's really interesting to hear about what he thinks about and second, sometimes I was laughing because I can relate to what he was talking about.

It made me think about when I'm playing in Ottmar's band. I don't like to think. I like to reach that level where I can shut my brain off and feel the music. I love that about this band, it seems that every one goes there. It's a place we all meet together to play. It's like a meditative state for me. Once and a while it's hard for me to shut my brain off as it's very active and creative all the time and sometimes drives me crazy.

The most silly things can pop into my head while playing. I don't quite understand it but it happens. For the most part, I'm concentrating and feeling the music. Sometimes I think about what's coming up next if it's a part I really need to focus on. Other times some of the most ridicules things pop into my head. I remember playing the show in ABQ. That was the show when OL announced my name and I stood up and walked forward and did the most ridicules bow. (they dared me to do it) I got a very mixed response. Some people were laughing, and I think other's thought, "what's wrong with this kid??" Anyway, I remember one time during the show I was playing and then my cat came into my thoughts running around trying to take my guitar strings, then I thought, wait, I'm playing a show, why is this in my head?? Sometimes my brain will start playing tricks on me, is this the first or second chorus? That doesn't happen that often but at that point I have to turn that thought process off right away and just feel where song is going. It could be about how the catering was, or traveling on the bus. Some shows, no thoughts have come to mind, I love it when that happens.

Another thing I do through out the entire show, I'll scan what I'm hearing. It kind of flows back'n forth. It's almost like when you're driving. I think I heard OL tell me this once. You're really not thinking about the fact that you're driving. You're looking forward, then down to check your speed, then looking in the rear view mirror etc.. You kind of do it automatically. Same fore live, I'll tune in to OL for a bit, then to Davo on Percussion, or wait, Jons bass isn't loud enough, ok I'll have to bring the level up after the song is finished, after this part I need to play the keys, I just heard some one in the audience etc..

I like to look over at Davo during certain parts of the show. Sometimes during Duende, there are a few parts where I don't play. Ottmar, Jon and Davo are playing and at that point I love to look over and watch them for a few seconds. The mix in my in-ears sound great and to see them that close, I feel like, wow, I have a good seat here. One time I remember thinking, this looks like a close up shot on a live DVD.

6 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

Nice post, man :) Playing live seems amazing. Thanks for posting!

mario said...

Thanks for the great post! We were there at the ABQ show . It was amazing....and loved that bow. I wondered what thought processes are going on during performances..:-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being a fly on the wall of your thoughts, Steven! (Hope, you understand what I mean...)

Adam, do you still practising the bulerias? You told that you started to learn it.

Gudrun said...

Sorry, Stephen, ...not Steven, as well Stefan?! Steve Stephen - ...I'm going to download this album next time!

Adam Solomon said...

Gudrun, I'm still working on it - I've got an intro, a few variations on a bridge, and five falsetas so after my next lesson I'll have a short complete piece. Working on getting down the rhythm....and Steve Stephen is a pretty awesome album :) I'm pretty sure he's a "Stephen", not a "Steven", but it gets shortened to "Steve" anyway...what a weird name! :D

Gudrun said...

Olé Adam, sounds like a great challenge! When all these parts in your fingers, you'll be very proud of you!!